Black bear eating from my apple tree, August night, 2012

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Springerle Cookies--A Huge Success

Last month I blogged about the arduous task of making holiday springerle--ornate tea biscuits that date back to the 15th century. You may (or may not) recall that the recipe suggest keeping the baked cookies (which hold detailed relief designs from a special wooden mold) in a tin for at least three weeks so that the cookies can "cure." I promised I'd write after that time had passed to let people know how they turned out. Well, they are fabulous. Crunchy yet weirdly chewy, with that subtle lemon and anise flavor. Perfect with Earl Grey tea, and they're gorgeous. Some pics of the finished product:





Blogspot has been giving me some problems posting, but I think I have the bugs worked out now, so hopefully I'll be able to post the springerle recipe I used (I invented a recipe by combining 3 different ones) on food.com soon, and share the link to it here.

Happy holiday baking to everyone. I think I just surpassed the 300th cookie baked in our house last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment