Black bear eating from my apple tree, August night, 2012

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Spring in Laporte


Click on the garden toad image to find out more about this painting

Spring has definitely sprung around here, with the warm weather, greening of grasses, and budding of colorful tree blossoms. The flora is reawakening, and so, evidently, is the fauna. At least the bird activity has increased.

In the last two weeks I was delighted to see that two pair of osprey were occupying both platform nests here in north Fort Collins, the one near Chapelle Animal Hospital, and the one at Willox and Shields. Have they nested here before? Were they raised here and are nesting for the first time? Where down south did they go this past winter? South America? Whenever the osprey show up, like the turkey vulture and the grackle, I know spring is officially started.

I am also happy to report that the red-tailed hawk nest that was active last year (one chick fledged) in the woods behind my house has birds nesting in it. There's a spotting scope set up on the deck and at any time of day I can usually see an adult sitting on the nest. Usually, it's tail-end toward me, but every once in a while I get a stunning glimpse of the face.

While new species are returning, sadly, my little juncos have disappeared. All winter long they ate millet seed on the walkway outside the kitchen window, and at first light, one hooded individual was always already there eating breakfast when I started my coffee. So, it appears they have done their vertical migration and headed for the hills. And the night time sounds of the great-horned owls, nesting I presume nearby the house, have been replaced with much coyote yipping in the wee hours.

And I mustn't forget the reptiles and amphibians, enjoying the dewy grass, increased insect populations, and bright sunshine to bask in. I've seen several snake-tails slithering in the yard, as well as one fat, greenish-brown toad, which I put in the vegetable garden, as he was being harassed by my dog. I hope he hangs out there all summer beneath the tomatoes and raspberries, enjoying the shade when the days get really hot, and evry once in a while, snapping up a bug or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment