Black bear eating from my apple tree, August night, 2012

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Thursday: Book Babble & Buzz

For some reason I have been on a roll lately. Every book I've picked up at the library has turned out to be a winner. Thought I'd pass along two titles that I just finished and thoroughly enjoyed. (I'm in a "memoir" phase right now.)

Blood, Bones & Butter (The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef) by Gabrielle Hamilton
Ms. Hamilton is the chef/owner of "Prune," a tiny (and extremely popular) restaurant in New York's East Village. In this wonderfully written memoir, Gabrielle recounts the twenty tough years she spent as an abandoned adolescent, thief, drug user, vagabond, dishwasher, cook, and grad student (creative writing), all the while struggling to find purpose and meaning in her life. This is unlike any other "foodie" memoir I have ever read. (In fact, Gabrielle detests chefs as celebrities, pretentious diners, and snooty restaurants.) Her descriptions of food in this book had me drooling on the pages (and it was a library book). How I wish I lived in NYC! I'd be happily scarfing down rustic fare at "Prune" weekly! Anyone who loves to eat, likes to travel, and enjoys a hard-scrabble story will find this book a refreshing change from typical celebrity memoirs.

Confessions of a Prairie Bitch: How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated by Alison Arngrim
Who in my generation didn't love to hate Nellie Oleson on "Little House on the Prairie?" She was a bitch, always belittling Laura and Mary and walking around with her puggish nose in the air. Well actress Alison Angrim was anything but a bitch, but played one really, really well. This memoir is hilarious, in part due to the fact that since her late teens, Alison has been performing stand-up comedy. This memoir is full of tid-bits that will surprise and amuse. Alison's Mom was the voice for many animated characters, including Casper the Friendly Ghost and Gumby! Alison's dad was gay and everyone knew it but didn't care. Regarding "Little House," Nellie's blond curls were actually a very painfully fitting wig. Michael Landon wore no underwear and drank four fingers of Wild Turkey on set. She and Melissa Gilbert were best friends, but Melissa Sue Anderson liked no one and was an ice-queen. The stream of surprising behind-the-scenes information keeps you devouring this book.

It isn't all pleasant, however. Alison was sexually abused as a child, beaten up by fans who hated the Nellie character, and saw friends die of AIDs in the early 80's. But Alison's taken all these lemons and made a pitcher of very entertaining and enlightening lemonade. In addition to this book, she's got a popular one-woman show of the same name. If it comes to my town, I'll be first in line for tickets.

(BTW--"Little House" happens to be one of the most popular television shows worldwide, and continues to be seen across the globe on a daily basis. Who knew?)

No comments:

Post a Comment