Black bear eating from my apple tree, August night, 2012

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thursday: So You Bought An E-Reader. Now What Do You Do?

The weather here in Colorado tonight (Wednesday the 18th)is nasty. Cold, rainy--I swear we had a total eclipse of the sun today. (When exactly did I move to Seattle?)
Here's today's Book Buzz from my pal Betsy (aka Knitting Knut).
This week I’m back to digital books. Many public libraries have a digital book collection just waiting to be checked out and downloaded.  You'll need to contact your local library for information on what software you need (it’s free), as well as the number of items you can check out at one time, and the length of time you will have access to the books.  You will also need a valid library card.  My local library (Fort Collins, Colorado, and neighboring communities) at http://poudrelibraries.org uses OverDrive Media Console with Adobe Digital Editions for e-books, audiobooks, music, and videos.  My computer, an Internet connection, and my library card allow me to browse, check out, and download books.  To transfer e-books to my e-reader I use Adobe Digital Editions to drag and drop the title to my selected device.  If I’m moving audiobooks or music I use the OverDrive Media Console to launch the Transfer Wizard and follow the onscreen prompts.
To find a list of compatible devices visit http://overdrive.com/resources/drc.

No comments:

Post a Comment