Black bear eating from my apple tree, August night, 2012

Monday, August 8, 2011

Monday: The Pleasant Valley Report

SO ANNOYED! I had this post scheduled for yesterday, Monday, the 8th, and it never appeared. And, the images I embedded in the post have disappeared! I apologize to my blog readers, and am in contact with blogspot folks to find out why, only recently, my posting has been haywire. Will repost the photos soon.

Things have gotten quieter here in Laporte. The last violet-green swallow chick fledged and most of the noisy bluejay and robin fledglings have moved on.While backyard bird activity has gone down quite a bit I'm happy to report that we've seen a large increase in the number of himmingbirds in our neighborhood. This is typically the time of year when they pass through en masse, but it seemed as if there were way fewer birds earlier this year, so I was worried. In addition to the feeders hanging from tree branches, we've got red and pink flowers to attract and feed them. The red bee balm and pink hyssop are most popular, not only with hummers, but with swallowtail butterflies as well.

During my "staycation" the last few weeks I was able to take a great hike (Loch Vale Trail) in Rocky Mountain National Park (see my Wednesday post from last week). Anyway, since it's a hot morning and the summit of that hike--at an alpine lake--was so refreshing, I'm posting some pics from that day. Enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment