Black bear eating from my apple tree, August night, 2012

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Butternut Squash

It's the time of year when home gardens are yielding wonderful winter squashes. If you're wondering what to do with butternut squash, I have a few simple ideas.

Butternut squash make great pies. They tend to have a more delicate flavor and less stringy texture than pumpkin, and are delicious in pies sliced ice cold with fresh whipped cream. To get squash for a pie filling, I roast butternut halves, cut side down, on foil in the oven, at about 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Butter the foil and the squash flesh first, and put a little water in the baking dish, too. I save the seeds and toast them for use on top of soups.

Speaking of soups, instead of using roast butternut for pie filling for dessert, try a butternut soup for dinner. I puree roasted squash with milk, butter, spices, and a splash of orange juice for a great soup. You can make your soup sweeter by adding maple syrup, or more savory with the addition of onions and a touch of sage.

Finally, my very favorite way to eat butternut squash is in chili. Dice butternut into 1/2 inch cubes (raw, but peeled) and add it to your slow-cooking chili. I use a crockpot and always put the butternut cubes at the bottom. I find that the squash thickens the chili sauce, and it adds a nice burst of color (and vitamins, too). When you haven't got a butternut around, use a yam or sweet potato. My chili looks naked now without something orange in it. Try it next time you cook up some chili and see if you don't agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment