Black bear eating from my apple tree, August night, 2012

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Red Mountain Open Space

I know I've said it here before, but it bears repeating. There's a wonderful hidden trasure in Larimer County--the Red Mountain Open Space (adjacent to Soapstone Prairie Natural Area). This morning I needed a rejuvenating hike, so I headed up that way. I took a pleasant drive on empty country roads, smiling at snow-capped peaks and pastures of bison as I approached the Open Space from the West via Hwy. 287. From Laporte to the trailhead took me exactly 1-3/4 hours, due mostly to the speed limit on the dirt roads. Great drive, stunning scenery!

Once you're there, be sure to hike the easy Bent Rock Trail (1.9 miles). You'll meander through red rock canyons full of cliff swallow nests, observe golden eagles and cottontail, and be treated to some of the most secluded, expansive space in Northern Colorado. We were the only car there all day. I'd packed a lunch, which we ate on site. Red Mountain Open Space has a handful of picnic tables and a restroom. I don't recall any potable water. There's no charge to access this space, or nearby Soapstone Prairie.

By the way, it's a good idea to check trail conditions for both Red Mountain and Soapstone (from their websites) before you leave home. Larimer County recently updated information on their website and has printed new, comprehensive maps. All information can be found here:
www.larimer.org/naturalresources
Dress in layers, bring plenty of water, wear a hat, and don't forget your camera and binoculars! These awe-inspiring FREE park lands are open to the public until December (closed Dec-Feb), so get out and enjoy. But plan to be isolated, with few others around, and a spotty (if any) cell phone signal. Let a friend or family member know where you're headed before you go visiting alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment