Black bear eating from my apple tree, August night, 2012

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Winter Evening at the Studio


Anyone who has attempted watercolor painting knows that quality natural light is essential to the process. You need soft but  intense natural light to illuminate the paper as you work, and to assist you in mixing just the right colors on your palette.

For me, the best natural light in my studio begins in March, due to my western facing window and the position of the sun at that time of year. So for now, while I do get a few "good" hours to paint on a sunny winter day, if the skies are dark, and of course, at night, I have to busy myself with other studio-related tasks, like promotion, organizing, fulfilling orders, etc.

Well, last night I realized the studio was a bit untidy and I attempted to clean and straighten out the room. I tend to work with a bit of disarray, but after the holiday rush to fill gift orders, the place looked like a tornado had come through. After a well-spent hour, things looked better, and in the light of day this morning, look better still. Thought some of you might enjoy a peek at nighttime in my art studio. As you can see, I surround myself with things that aren't art supplies, but that do make me smile and add a touch of whimsy.


My betta, Bert

I love wooden toys

Wooden alligator puzzle and coaster from Paris

I have an extensive English Bulldog collection, most of which is on a shelf in the kitchen

Wooden pig marionette


1960's light fixture draped with fabric

This cheap inflatable globe is frighteningly accurate

I use a 1930's vanity to hold supplies

Toys, etc.

A New York Times crossword puzzle is handy to have around while waiting for paint to dry. The transistor radio that I still use is at least 20 years old and was purchased on a camping trip to the Tetons.


No comments:

Post a Comment