Black bear eating from my apple tree, August night, 2012

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tuesday: How Do You Hard-Boil a Fresh Egg?

Many of us enjoy eating hard-boiled eggs, and during the summer, I bring Deviled-eggs to every potluck I'm invited to. So having eggs boil "nicely" and peel easily is really vital to my cause.

Because we get, on average, 2 eggs from our pet chickens every day, I'd love to boil these brown-shelled beauties to take and share with others (and eat myself). But I cannot figure out how to properly hard-boil a "fresh" egg.

I tried everything.

Then, I read in a recent issue of "Organic Gardening" that I am not alone. A woman raising chickens for decades hasn't figured out how to do it, so I don't feel so stupid.

The editors suggested a method of dredging the hot eggs in cold water and immediately cracking the shells, to allow the insides to contract from the membrane inside the shell, for easier peeling. Doesn't work for me.

Does anyone have any ideas? Added vingar to the boiling water. Nope. Added salt. Nope. Added baking soda. Nada. Added tea (that one was weird). Didn't help.

Any advice appreciated.

Don't want to turn you off from fresh eggs. They make the most heavenly baked goods, and omelets and simple poached eggs are to-die-for with their glorious orange yolks. Not to mention that these are happy, free-ranging gals with a diet of organic feed, added flax (for more Omega-3's), and the occassional freshly chopped tomato. So their eggs are better for your health. By all means, find a source of truly fresh, home-grown eggs and eat them. And when you figure out how to hard-boil them, drop me a line!

No comments:

Post a Comment