Black bear eating from my apple tree, August night, 2012

Friday, September 2, 2011

Photographer Scott Raffe Dies at Age 47

Today's post deviates from my format of writing about offbeat things on Friday. I recently found out that reknowned photographer Scott Raffe died of pancreatic cancer on the Fourth of July. He was just 47.

Scott's work is recognized around the world for its sensitivity and depth. His best professional relationship was with the European-style Circus Flora, for whom he shot portraits of performers that were true art.

You can read more about Scott here:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/ourlives/article.aspx?subjectid=58&articleid=20110709_11_A19_CUTLIN595716

Scott and I were married for ten years, and although I'd lost touch with my ex, I never discounted the value of his work and his value on this planet as a very decent human being. He will be greatly missed.

This man taught me alot about storytelling through pictures and to this day, when I paint portraits of wildlife, I do so keeping in mind how he would get up close and personal with his subjects. He had an uncanny knack for bringing personality out of people. I try to pull personality out of my animal subjects too.

Death always teaches us lessons, none more important than the simple, basic truth: Life is short. We never know when our time comes to pass on. Please, be kind to your friends and family. Do good deeds every day for those you love and those you don't even know. And live every day as if it's your last.

Rest in peace Scott. Say hi to Maurie and Billy for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment