Black bear eating from my apple tree, August night, 2012

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tongue Recipes, Anyone?

Yes, you read that right. I'm trying to find good recipes for beef tongue. When we bought part of a butchered, grass-fed cow last year, I asked for the organ meats as well. I've been making dog biscuits with most parts, but the tongue has me mystified and, I'll admit, a little grossed out. However, people have told me that tongue is delicious, so I am willing to attempt to cook it. If anyone has a tried-and-true recipe, please email it to me.

At the Farmer's Market on Saturday, I bought some grass-fed beef from the friendly folks at Sunrise Ranch. These guys are so nice, and they hand out free recipes for every type cut they sell. They gave me a recipe for "Tacos de Lengua"--beef tongue tacos. Someone there told me it's delicious and tastes like pulled pork. I'm not too keen on some of the directions: "scrub tongue well" and "peel off and discard skin." Eww. Peeling off cow tastebuds is not an attractive proposition, but I never back down from a challenge.

(BTW--Last day of the 2011 Farmer's Market season is October 15.)

No comments:

Post a Comment