Black bear eating from my apple tree, August night, 2012

Monday, April 25, 2011

Monday: The Pleasant Valley Report

It was a bit dreary for the Easter holiday here in Laporte, but getting all that gentle rain is good for the environment, so we won't complain. Saturday we colored eggs, and I am most proud of this one (which I shared on facebook). The nest here is a Cordilleran Flycatcher nest. Each year, a pair nest under an eave near our garage. After I took the photo, I returned the nest to its perch.



Friday, a bird flew into one of our large picture windows. That "thud" is always a sickening sound, and we try to mitigate this problem with suncatchers and decals on the glass, but inevitably, a few unfortunate birds each year will fly into a window. Luckily, my husband was right there when this happened, rushed to below the window, and recovered the bird, a Hermit Thrush. Here's a photo of it taken after it was picked up from the ground. (Happily, after a few moments lying quietly in a shoebox, the bird recovered and flew off.)



Here's hoping everyone had pleasant Easter/Passover/Earth Day holidays. Things are getting really green around here, which is exciting.

Note: I cannot for the life of me get the fonts to stay consistent on this blog. My latest attempt is this serif face. Let's see what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment