Black bear eating from my apple tree, August night, 2012

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tuesday: Cooking with Tea

Tea is one of life’s great pleasures and I have many boxes, tins and canisters of tea. Black, white, green and red tea; Rooibos tea; herbal tea--you name it, I’ve got it. About a year or so ago I read a small piece in “Women’s Health” magazine reminding us home cooks that tea is a super-food ingredient. There may be many recipes out there using tea as the main flavor, but that was not the gist of this article. Instead, this sidebar piece suggested simply adding tea to your sauces and soups. I’ve been doing it ever since, with great results. Not only does the tea impart color and a bit of flavor, but all those good antioxidants, too. Because tea bags are basically bouquet-garnis, they are easy to use in this way.
Essentially, I add a few green tea bags to any light colored soup or broth I am cooking. Black tea bags are perfect for dark soups—like bean, or for stews. Oolong (red) tea is versatile and I add a tea bag or two to vegetable soups, especially spicy ones that feature paprika and red pepper. A few citrusy herbal tea bags tossed in when boiling rice or quinoa are wonderful. Try lemon zinger with jasmine rice for a peach-colored, fragrant side dish.
Would love to read any of your suggestions for integrating tea into meals. Toodles.

1 comment:

  1. Addendum--I found the article I read--April 2009 issue of Women's Health, page 44. They also suggest covering a roast with black tea leaves, among other things.

    ReplyDelete