Black bear eating from my apple tree, August night, 2012

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Saturday: Wildlife Questions Answered: Raptor Identification

Although I stated previously that I would not be blogging on the weekend, my good friend asked me to give her a rundown on what distinguished different species of hawks from one another. This is my attempt to provide that service.
All right, let me start out by saying that although I have a degree in wildlife biology, I am not a PhD. I am, therefore, a generalist. Which is actually a good thing, as many PhDs in this field (like other specialties) tend to spend so much time researching their “species of interest” that they don’t actually know how to answer questions about other animals.  
Most bird biologists will tell you that there are 7 kinds of diurnal (active during daylight hours, vs. owls, active at night) raptors, or “hawks.”  All are commonly referred to as “birds of prey.”  My favorite field guide on this subject is  “Hawks in Flight” by Dunne, Sibley, and Sutton. This blog post was written using this book as reference. It’s a fabulous, unique field guide that will have you identifying these birds of prey in no time.
Buteos are broad-winged, short-tailed hawks that excel at soaring.  Buteos eat many things, like rodents, reptiles, insects, etc. The most commonly seen buteo is the Red-tailed hawk. (Nine times out of ten, when you’re watching a movie and a hawk is calling, it’s a red-tailed hawk. Even when they show a different species. Don’t get me started on how Hollywood adds bird sounds that don’t make sense! )
Accipiters are raptors with short, rounded wings, long tails and long legs. They eat other birds. The Cooper's Hawk, Sharp-shinned Hawk, and Northern Goshawk are accipiters.  Accipiters, because of their body style, hang out in woodlands. They can maneuver through tree branches, and are described as “artful dodgers”.  Accipiters in my neighborhood include sharp-shinned hawks; they love to pick off doves at my bird feeders. (We all gotta eat.)
Falcons are way smaller (except for the Peregrine Falcon) than hawks, and are very, very fast. They have blade-shaped wings and typically nab their prey (usually other birds) on the wing, in flight. There are exceptions. Our smallest falcon, the American Kestrel, can be seen hovering (like a hummingbird, kind of) over open spaces and fields, waiting to pounce on a mouse or grasshopper.
Kites are small raptors that feed on insects. The Mississippi Kite is probably the most well known. These birds are gregarious, which means they enjoy hanging out together (not typical raptor behavior). In the US, most kites are found in the south.
Okay, now we get to the Northern Harrier. The harrier used to be called the “marsh hawk,” ( so take a guess where you’ll see one) and although nine species in its genus (Circus) populate every continent except Antarctica, the US has just this one. Harriers are found all over the country, so they are sometimes underappreciated, but  they should be respected; they are hunters with many tricks up their sleeves (if birds had sleeves). Harriers can capture prey on the wing or perch hunt, or even scavenge on remains.
Since we effectively lost our wild populations of California condors, eagles are the largest raptors in America. Unlike all other “hawks”, eagles do not look over their shoulders before they attack. (I guess if you’re that big, you don’t have to worry about becoming a meal yourself.)  Anyway, everyone knows what a Bald Eagle looks like. No? Grab an older quarter out of your piggy bank and take a look.
The Osprey is my favorite raptor. It’s got its own specialty—diving for fish. I love looking up and seeing an osprey with a fish wiggling in its talons. It’s fun to watch them dive-bomb into the ocean off Sanibel Island in the winter. This bird used to be called the “fish hawk.”
Finally, some people consider vultures birds of prey, but I don’t. Their feet have no talons, so they can’t actually kill anything with them; instead, they scavenge and eat carrion. (Their feet and featherless heads resemble storks, not hawks, and genetically, they are more closely related to storks.) Anyhow, the Turkey Vulture, for example, soars like a hawk, so it’s good to know how to ID them if you decide to go out hawk-watching.
I am sure someone will contact me to tell me that this post is erroneous in some way, but in general, I think it’s on the mark. Let me know if you have any other wildlife questions, and on Saturdays, I’ll try to answer them. I have an extensive reference library and happen to know several experts I can consult if needed. I am here to serve.

Click on this Peregrine Falcon to purchase my print

No comments:

Post a Comment