Black bear eating from my apple tree, August night, 2012

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Wednesday: Arenal Volcano, Costa Rica

It just so happens that I'll be visiting La Fortuna, Costa Rica next winter (early 2012), and coincidentally, in a recent issue of "The Week" magazine on page 34, there was a small write-up about the famous volcano there. Thought I'd share, since it seems many Americans have discovered what a great destination Costa Rica is for adventure travel.

(This piece was used by "The Week"  from the Philadelphia Inquirer, and written by William Ecenbarger):

"Eleven hours after eating breakfast in Hershey, PA., I am sitting in a Costa Rican rain forest watching ash spew from Arenal volcano." Lava and "freshly baked boulders" slip down the slopes of one of the 10 most active volcanoes in the world. It took just five hours to fly to this "vibrant land of beaches and jungles," where, for less than $200 a night, "my wife and I were staying in a luxury resort."

Mr. Ecenbarger goes on to say that, at night they were lulled to sleep by the "warbles, pops, rubbings, squeaks, and chirps" of the jungle.

Can't wait to go and experience Arenal myself. In addition to this awesome volcano, La Fortuna offers ancient ruins, waterfalls, and hot pools to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment