Black bear eating from my apple tree, August night, 2012

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wednesday: Practicing Compassion

Regular readers to this blog know that I'm a big fan of "Ode" Magazine, which bills itself (and its related web pages) as the "community for intelligent optimists." The latest issue (July/August) is especially full of great content. On Tuesday next week I'll blog a bit about their article on sustainable beef, but today here's a quick share I think's worth considering. It's from the article "The Compassion Instinct" on page 20. In a nutshell, the piece explains how "research shows that a compassionate attitude toward others improves mental and physical health."

The article is thought-provoking and confirms what many of us already suspected--that when we share kindness, we are actually kind to ourselves. Here's a bit from the article by Larry Gallagher--some bullet-points to help you practice compassion everyday:

"Practicing compassion is possible in any place where people come together: at airports, on beaches and in stores. Try practicing these five steps with strangers and friends alike. Do it discreetly and focus your attention on the same person at every step. Tell yourself:
  1. "Just like me, this person is looking for happiness in his or her life."
  2. "Just like me, this person tries to avoid suffering in his or her life."
  3. "Just like me, this person experiences sorrow, loneliness and despair."
  4. "Just like me, this person is trying to satisfy his or her own needs."
  5. "Just like me, this person is learning about life."

No comments:

Post a Comment